You say Potato, I say Tattie...

Sunday 12 October 2008

Chickpea and tomato stew


I saw a great recipe in the Somerfield magazine (yes, seriously) this week for a cheap but filling stew that would be just the thing for a cold autumnal evening. I think I might serve it with some lamb chops, but it would be just the thing on its own (which might be how I eat it tonight!)

Ingredients

1 large onion (peeled and chopped)
1 tbsp sunflower oil, or any other oil you have to hand
1/2 tbsp chilli powder (or, in my case, a small amount of English Pomander's Very Lazy Red Chillies)
2 cloves garlic (or, again, the Very Lazy Garlic!)
can of chickpeas
can of sweetcorn
can plum tomatoes
some fresh coriander to garnish


Method
1. Fry onion in oil for 10 mins over a low heat - add chilli and garlic and fry for another minute or so
2. Add chickpeas (with their liquid), sweetcorn and tomatoes. Bring to the boil. Break pup tomatoes with a wooden spoon and allow to simmer for 20 mins, until reduced and flavours have mingled.
3. Sprinkle with fresh coriander, and serve.

I can imagine this would be gorgeous as part of a bigger meal with Moroccan lamb, with pitta bread, or with a fresh mediterranean salad. To give it a more smoky Mediterranean 'edge', stir in a little smoked paprika with the chilli and garlic. If like me, you are a committed omnivore, I'd also consider very finely chopped ham or bacon. Chicken pieces and some red peppers transform the dish into a thick casserole.

Picture from Flickr user Rooey202

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home