You say Potato, I say Tattie...

Monday 8 September 2008

Monday chicken


Something which I do compulsively is freeze 'extra' chicken pieces, like a couple of thighs that I won't eat, or some leg pieces. Occasionally I realise that I could build several chickens with the pieces I've accumulated and I wonder what to do with them. Given the autumnal theme of the week, there are plenty of slow cooking options. Thai green curry? Chicken paprika? A coriander chicken stew?

I think I'm being drawn towards the perennial favourite, Coq au Vin. I can cook it up tonight and save for tomorrow, when all the juices will have seeped into the meat. After my fabulous, hearty lunch (see below), I don't think I could manage to eat it tonight, but tomorrow, with a slice of the organic batard loaf from Tapa, it'll be just right. The 'recipe' for my coq au vin more or less consists of browning chicken breasts and cooking them with bacon, stock and wine and any veg you may have, but  this recipe from BBC Food comes closest to my simple approach:

Ingredients
8 joints free range chicken, on the bone and skin removed
150g/5½oz shallots, peeled but left whole
5 cloves of garlic, crushed 
25g/1oz butter
sprig of fresh thyme or a good pinch of dried
150g/5½oz streaky bacon, cut thickly 
350g/12½oz button mushrooms
500ml/16½fl oz good red wine
500ml/16½fl oz chicken stock
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
small bunch flatleaf parsley, chopped
salt and crushed black pepper


Method
1. Heat a thick-bottomed casserole dish on the stove, add almost all the butter, shallots and garlic and cook gently until just browned. Add the bacon and thyme and cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms, turn up the heat and add the red wine, chicken stock and vinegar. Add the chicken pieces, bring the sauce to the boil and then simmer gently for about 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
3. Add the parsley, together with a knob of butter. Correct the seasoning and serve with a little dressed green salad and olive oil mash or good bread.


Picture by ginandtonic1978, Flickr

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home