You say Potato, I say Tattie...

Sunday 7 September 2008

Travelling food


I don't want this blog to be just about Glasgow, but about food in general.

I love travelling to new places, and I'll only ever go to a place where I am interested in the cuisine. I've eaten prawns grilled on an open barbeque at the harbour in Oslo, where the catch was being tipped into buckets, then thrown on the grill. I got a whole poke for 20 kronor, and given the prices of food in Norway, at £1.40 this was a bargain. These pink gems needed nothing, but the dill mayonnaise and rye bread that was provided was just perfect for the crisp Scandinavian day.

In Prague I ate chicken with pears and camembert in a pub in Holesovice, and it was one of the best meals of my life. I try to block out the fact it came with crinkly oven chips. 

Hungary will forever mean goulash, and veal, but also langos, the potato dough fried with cheese (and people say the Scots are unhealthy!) I love Hungarian food, it's so rich and full of flavour. The lunch I had at Cafe Kor, near the basilica, will stay with me forever; more poultry and cheese combination (turkey and roquefort), with a starter of just wonderful Goulash soup (pictured) and finished with a Gundel pancake (imagine a crepe, filled with Nutella and chopped nuts)....


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home